Amitabh Bachchan, who needs no introduction is the Shahenshah of Bollywood. His versatile acting and amiable personality pairing up with his solid voice have earned him countless fans.
Here are few lesser known facts about Amitabh Bachchan that we need to know:
1. Amitabh’s actual surname was Shrivastava, his father had adopted the pen name Bachchan. So, the family adopted this surname.
2. Born in the family of literary genius, Harivansh Rai Bachchan, Amitabh was initially going to be named Inquilaab (Revolution) by his parents. But, finally they chose to name him Amitabh which means unending brilliance.
3. He wanted to become an engineer and was keen to join the Indian Air Force.
4. The Bachchan family had very close ties with the Gandhi family in the early 20th Century.
5. Sunil Dutt signed him for a mute’s role in Reshma Aur Shera because of a letter of introduction from then PM Indira Gandhi to friend Nargis.
6. Amitabh has played more double roles than any other actor. In Mahaan, he had a triple role.
7. During the shooting of the movie ‘Khuda Gawah’ opposite Sridevi, the, then, President of Afghanistan provided Amitabh with half of his country’s air force for protection. The movie was one of the most watched Indian films in the history of Afghanistan.
8. For Amitabh Bachchan, the most beautiful actress in the film industry is Waheeda Rahman.
9. He was one of the judges for the 1995 Miss World beauty pageant.
10. Amitabh Bachchan is ambidextrous (able to use the right and left hands equally well).
11. He is a vegetarian and a teetotaler (a person who never drinks alcohol)
12. He has a double Master of Arts degree.
13. The Big B has a passion for collecting watches. It is said he never repeats his watches. His favourite brand is Longines, which costs about Rs 2 lakh.
14. His other interest is collecting pens. The actor has a collection of over thousand pens. Mont Blanc gifts him a special pen every year on his birthday.
15. The Big B owns 11 cars, including one Lexus, two BMWs and three Mercedes. His favourite is the Lexus. The car is bulletproof. The car has radial tyres that are normally used for Formula 1 races. The cost of each tyre is Rs 2.5 lakh.
17. It was in Calcutta that he bought a second-hand Fiat as his first car.
18. During his struggling days, Amitabh Bachchan had spent a few nights on a bench at Marine Drive, Mumbai. He loves to point out to the bench every time he drives past it.
19. It is said both his bungalows, Pratiksha and Jalsa, put together would be worth R 160 crore! Interestingly, Jalsa was gifted to the actor.
20. For a man who is worth millions today, Amitabh’s first salary was a measly Rs 300.
21. He was the first Asian actor to have a wax model displayed at Madame Tussaud’s in London.
22. Was named Actor of the Millennium in a BBC News Poll ahead of such luminaries as Charlie Chaplin, and Marlon Brando.
23. He hates the word Bollywood, the word that most use to describe the Hindi film industry.
24. Amitabh Bachchan’s daughter, Shweta, is married to Nikhil Nanda, whose mother is the late Raj Kapoor’s daughter.
25. Salim-Javed had originally written Mr India with Amitabh Bachchan in mind.
26. Amitabh-Jaya are the only real-life couple to have starred on-screen for 30 years from Ek Nazar to Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham – 28 years after their marriage.
27. He is the only actor to star in a remake of his own film as hero as well as villain.
28. Amitabh dubbed for 23 scenes in 5 hours, a record, for Shootout At Lokhandwala.
29. His favourite screen name is Vijay as seen in over 20 movies. Another common name has been Amit.
30. Jaya Bachchan is often heard saying, “Amitji is a loner!” (a person that prefers not to associate with others)